Blind Department Building and Dow Hall, State School for the Blind

Edit profile
Blind Department Building and Dow Hall, State School for the Blind
Blind Department Building and Dow Hall, State School for the Blind were two buildings that were part of the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind, a public school administered by the state in Faribault, Minnesota, USA. The two structures, Dow Hall and the Blind Department building were significant components of a system of state-administered special education for the physically and mentally handicapped segments of the population.

Blind Department building
Alexander Faribault moved into his impressive Second Empire home on the east side of the Straight River in 1856. In 1874, the home was sold to the state to house the State School for the Blind.

Dow Hall
Dow Hall (1883) was built specifically to house the School for the Blind. The building's construction was indicative not only that education was worthwhile for people with disabilities, but also that differing disabilities required programs tailored to the students' specific needs. The building was demolished some time after 1996 due to potential safety hazards. The legislation authorizing the demolition specified that a historical marker must be placed at the site with artifacts of the historic building. The stonework of the ground floor of the foundation is visible at the site.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com