Blessed Sacrament Catholic ChurchEdit profile
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church is a Catholic church in the Glebe neighbourhood of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The parish was founded on March 25, 1913, with the first building being a simple chapel. When the current building opened in 1932, its plain design and lack of ornamentation caused local controversy because it seemed more Protestant than Catholic. However, the building later won plaudits for its modern design. Designed by M.J. Morton, it is considered an example of the Perpendicular Gothic style.
As with Ottawa's other old churches, declining church attendance had caused problems for the church. For several years it served as home to Ottawa's Hungarian Catholic community, though they left in 1997. Church attendance began to increase dramatically when Ottawa Archbishop Marcel Gervais appointed Rev. Joseph (Joe) LeClair as Pastor, a turnaround that continues to regularly attract media attention.
The church's parish retains its original form. It covers the area north and west of the Rideau Canal, south of the Queensway and east of Booth Street.