Blaydon Burn Power Station
Blaydon Burn Power Station (also known as Priestman Power Station) was a waste heat fuelled power station, situated near Blaydon in Gateshead, North East England.

History
In 1853 a shaft was sank for the Blaydon Main coal seam at Blaydon Burn, and in 1902 a coke works was set up on the site of the nearby Dockendale Hall. This was operated by the Priestman Power Company, producing coke using 80 coke ovens, made by the Otto Hilgenstock company of Germany. The power station was constructed in 1904 to utilise waste heat produced by the coke ovens. The heat was piped from the coke ovens to under four land-type Babcock and Wilcox boilers, each with 500 HP capacity. The boilers supplied steam for two 275 kilowatt (kW) Parsons three phase turbo alternators. At the time of opening, this generating equipment was of the latest and best design. The alternators produced a current of 6,000 volts. The electricity generated by the station was initially used as a power supply for the coal mine, but as the Priestman Power Company was owned by the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Company, the electricity was also used to power the rest of the county, using the County Durham distribution system. Feed water for the boilers was taken from the Blaydon Burn, upon which the station was built. However, there wasn't a sufficient amount of water available for condensing purposes as well, and so the condensing water needed to be used over and over again. This necessitated the construction of a cooling tower and reservoir. The station's boiler house and turbine hall were of a steel framed construction, with corrugated iron cladding. The advantage of this type of construction is that if the coke ovens were to be abandoned, the station could be deconstructed and re-erected somewhere else at a minimal cost. In 1916, the station's generating equipment was replaced by a 3,000 kW Parsons generating set. This was the first generating set to use reheated steam between stages in its turbines. In 1919, the station was modified so that the entire path of the cooling air was made into an enclosed circuit, which overcame problems caused by dust and moisture getting into the windings. When the UK's national grid distribution system was brought into use in 1932, the station was one of a small number of stations in the region to be converted from the 40 hertz (Hz) frequency used by the North Eastern grid system to the 50 Hz frequency used by the national system. The station ceased operating in 1959.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 100 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com