Bishopthorpe PalaceEdit profile
Bishopthorpe Palace is a stately home and historic house at Bishopthorpe south of York in the City of York unitary authority and ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. It is on the River Ouse and is the official residence of the Archbishop of York; within the local area it is sometimes simply called "the Archbishop's Palace". In the 13th century, Archbishop Grey bought the manor house at what was then St. Andrewthorpe and gave it to the Dean and Chapter of York Minster. Since then, the village became known as Bishopthorpe. The palace is a listed building in a wooded, rural setting and includes a gatehouse, stables, a brewhouse and brewster's cottage. It was remodelled by Thomas Atkinson between 1763 and 1769. The present archbishop, John Sentamu, did not initially move into the palace as it was just beginning a major renovation and restoration at the time.