Bishop Portier House
The Bishop Portier House is a historic residence in Mobile, Alabama, United States. It sits diagonally across from the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, and faces Cathedral Square. It is owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Mobile. The house, built circa 1834, is one of Mobile's best surviving examples of a Creole cottage with neoclassical details.

History
The house is named for Michael Portier, Mobile's first Roman Catholic bishop, who made this his home from 1834, until his death in 1859. The house was designed by Claude Beroujon, a seminarian architect and nephew of Portier. Four subsequent bishops resided here until 1906. Fr. Abram Ryan, poet-priest of the South, occupied the northwest corner room on the second floor from 1870, until 1877. The residence was restored by the archdiocese in 1958, and again in 2007. In 1970, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Description
The structure is frame with clapboarding, and plastered gallery. It is one and one-half stories, with a square plan, and a center hall running from front to rear. It has a gabled roof encompassing full-length galleries, front and rear, on slender columns. There are three ornate dormers with classical detail. The center entrance is framed by pilasters, entablature, transom, and side lights.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com