Birmingham Town Hall
Birmingham Town Hall is a masterpiece of Victorian Architecture and has a Classical look with its portico raised on 40 Corinthian columns coated with Anglesey marble. The perfect proportions and regular rhythm found in the façade are reminiscent of the Ancient Greek and Roman architecture. Designed by Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch, the edifice is based on the ideas and books of the renowned Italian architect Andreas Palladio and closely resembles the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Rome. The building has been a centre of all major musical performances in the city since 1847. Its great hall has a capacity of 1100 people and houses one of the finest pipe organs in the country built by William Hill from London. Adorning the forecourt are two memorials, one to Queen Victoria and another to the inventor James Watt. Both are the work of Alexander Monro and date from 1899.
In 2008, the Town Hall re-opened as a concert hall after extensive refurbishment costing £35 million and now still hosts classical music performances, events like the graduation ceremonies of Aston University and is a main venue in the city. 


Build/Rebuild Model All Models .svn admin_menu admin_settings administrator architect architects_building building buildings_books buildings_books_sellers buildings_material buildings_more_field buildings_more_value buildings_programme buildings_reference buildings_status buildings_tag comment description file home material media programme references_from report revisions_log role rss similar site_settings status system tag text_page user

Generate Admin simple extended


13 photos and 2 drawings

Building Activity

  • Associated Architects
    Associated Architects removed a digital reference and updated
    about 3 years ago via
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator