Birmingham Orthodox CathedralEdit profile
The Dormition of the Mother of God and St Andrew is a Greek Orthodox cathedral on Summer Hill Terrace in Birmingham, England, dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God and St Andrew. In Greek: The Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition of the Theotokos and Saint Andreas. (Dormition or Falling Asleep of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, celebrated on August 15).
The building was formerly a Catholic Apostolic church. It was designed in 1873 by J.A. Chatwin who worked on many of Birmingham's churches, including St Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham. It is a brick Gothic revival church in the Early English style. It has a wide rectangular nave, an apse at each end and passage aisles through the buttresses. The interior consists of heavy brick arches on stout columns and clerestory windows between clustered wall shafts supporting a high arched roof. The west end has a tall archway set in a diapered brick wall leading into a baptistery. Some of the decoration was by Gibbs and Canning Limited of Tamworth. Renovations have taken place since circa 2000. The current priest is Protopresbyter Kosmas Pavlidis. The church also has a Greek school for children who wish to learn the Greek language.