Billou-Stillwell-Perine HouseEdit profile
The Billou-Stillwell-Perine House located at 1476 Richmond Road, Staten Island, New York, is a Dutch Colonial structure and the oldest building still standing on Staten Island.
Originally built by Pierre Billou, a Huguenot, who arrived at New Amsterdam in 1661 and founder of Old Dorp (Old Town) in the same year, subsequently received a land grant on Staten Island, erecting the original stone section about 1665. His daughter Martha (1652-1736) inherited the property and resided there with her husband, Thomas Stillwell (1651-1705), and later with her second husband, Rev. David de Bonrepos (1654-1734). She married Rev. de Bonrepos in 1711.
In 1679, Thomas Stilwell, a well-to-do landowner, enlarged the house. His and Martha's descendants, the Brittans, owned it until the 18th century.
It was then acquired by Edward Perine in 1758. The Perine family owned it until 1913.
It has a shingled, sloping roof, and an unusual jambless fireplace, which is very high and has a large stone hearth. A secret chamber opens into a room that features a ceiling with exceptionally large beams. Owned by the Staten Island Historical Society, the house is open to the public on a limited weekend schedule or by appointment.