Bern Switzerland TempleEdit profile
The 7-acre (28,000 m 2) lot was selected in July 1952 by President David O. McKay and Samuel E. Bringhurst, then president of the Swiss-Austrian Mission. Architects were Edward O. Anderson and Wilhelm Zimmer. Groundbreaking and dedication of the lot were performed by President David O. McKay on August 5, 1953. He dedicated the temple on September 11, 1955. The temple was known as the "Swiss Temple" until the current naming convention for temples was adopted in the late 1990s. The Bern Switzerland temple has 4 ordinance rooms, 7 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 35,546 square feet (3,302.3 m 2). The presentation of the Endowment was particularly challenging in this temple, because it was the first international one, requiring many different languages for its attendants. It was solved by using a film, dubbed in all required languages. Gordon B. Hinckley supervised the initial making of this film and was the person responsible for getting the film past customs into Switzerland. After that all new temples were equipped with the film instead of live presentations by temple workers. Today, only the Manti Utah Temple and the Salt Lake Temple use live presentation instead of film. After complete renewal of the interior, the temple was rededicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley on October 23, 1992. In connection with the fiftieth anniversary of its dedication, a 4-metre-high statue of the angel Moroni was erected on top of the tower on September 7, 2005.