Berkeley Square, Bristol
Berkeley Square is close to Park Street in the Clifton area of Bristol. It was laid out around 1790 in Georgian style with a central grass area behind railings, by Thomas and William Paty. Numbers 12-18 were damaged during the Bristol Blitz in World War II and were rebuilt to maintain the same facade. Many of the buildings are now owned and used by the University of Bristol. Others are hotels and offices. Number 24 was used as the main exterior in the BBC television drama The House of Eliott.

Many of the buildings now have grade II* listed building status.
  • Nos.1-8
  • Nos.11-19
  • Nos 20-30

High Cross
The statue in the gardens is a replica of the Bristol High Cross which was erected in the city in 1373 honouring various British monarchs, and moved to College Green in 1733. The statue was then given in 1768 to Stourhead gardens and can be seen there today. The current statue is a replica which was originally sited on College Green was made by John Norton in 1851 and removed in the late 1940s. The Bristol Civic Society purchased the remains in 1950 and re-erected the truncated remains seen today in Berkeley Square.,,

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via