Bellingham-Cary House

Bellingham-Cary House is an historic house at 34 Parker Street in Chelsea, Massachusetts.

The house was built in 1659 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It was built by Richard Bellingham, who was governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for three terms starting in 1641. The house was used as his summer house until his death in 1672.

It has been owned and operated as a museum by the Gov. Bellingham~Cary House Association since 1912. It won the 2006 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award. Although the NRHP application calls the architectural style "Federal", and it has some of the characteristics of Federal architecture, it was built more than a century before the Federal period.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com