Beaufort Castle, ScotlandEdit profile
Beaufort Castle is a castle in northern Scotland, near Beauly. It is the traditional seat of the chiefs of the Clan Fraser.History
The original castle was built by the Byset family. The castle came into the hands of the Fraser's in the late 13th century. English forces besieged the castle in 1303.
The castle sits on the site of several previous castles, including Castle Dounie, which was burned to the ground by Oliver Cromwell's forces during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in the late 1640's and then by Government forces under the command of the Prince William, Duke of Cumberland shortly after Culloden, at the end of Jacobite rising of 1745, as Simon the Fox had been a Jacobite leader.
The castle was sold in 1994 to Stagecoach director Ann Gloag by the then-Lord Lovat, to meet inheritance taxes.
Beaufort Castle is located north of Kiltarlity, off the A833. 12 miles west of Inverness, on the A862.