Beatty Street Drill HallEdit profile
The Beatty Street Drill Hall is a Canadian Forces armoury located at 620 Beatty Street in Vancouver, British Columbia. It is the home of The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) (RCAC), an armoured reconnaissance reserve, the oldest military unit in Vancouver, and the most senior militia in the province. The building was designed by architect David Ewart and opened on 30 September 1901 by the Duke of Cornwall (later King George V). With two large castle-like turrets complete with battlements, and two tanks and a 64-pounder Gun alongside the large white structure, Beatty Street Drill Hall has long been a Vancouver landmark and is listed as a class-A heritage building. The walls are three and a half feet thick, and the building rests on huge granite blocks. Limestone from Gabriola Island was used for the parapet and it features a rusticated stone trim. The Drill Hall includes a parade square, offices, and store rooms. It formerly contained a firing range and bowling alley. Originally, the Cambie Street grounds, now a parking lot across the street, was also used as part of the Regiment's training facilities. The Regimental Museum of the BC Regiment (DCO) is housed in the building, with displays dating back to 1883, including uniforms, weapons, medals, Nazi regalia, and a large collection of photographs documenting the regiment's (and the Drill Hall's) history. The museum was established in 1982 and is open to the public Thursday afternoons. In addition to the BC Regiment (DCO), the 2290 British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) Cadet Corps also parades at the armoury.