Bayley House
Bayley House, located at 16 Fairmont Avenue, Newtonville, Massachusetts, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 4, 1986.

National Register listing
  • Bayley House ** (added 1986
  • Building - #86001771)
  • 16 Fairmont Ave., Newton
  • Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
  • Architect, builder, or engineer: Peabody & Stearns
  • Architectural Style: Other, Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals
  • Area of Significance: Architecture
  • Period of Significance: 1875-1899
  • Owner: Private
  • Historic Function: Domestic
  • Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
  • Current Function: Domestic
  • Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling


History
Bayley House was designed and built in 1883-84 by the Boston-based architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns, noted for its commercial and residential architecture in the late 19th century. The house"originally commissioned by James C. Bayley, a Boston shoe merchant who died within months after ground was broken in late 1883"was built of brick, freestone, red slate, and wood. Its main entrance is behind the porte-cochère on the tower side of the house. Bayley's widow, Martha R. Bayley, oversaw the completion of the house, but she and her young children never moved in. The first occupants of the house were the family of Cyrus Anderson, who lived there from 1884 to 1897. Subsequent owners were the Luther Adams family (wife Lizzie), from 1897 through approximately 1901. Adams was a wine merchant in Boston. Also residing with them were daughters Fanny M. and Mabel Adams. Luther Adams died in 1901 at age 68. The house was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Edgar P. Van Etten (President, Boston and Albany Railroad) in 1903. From approximately 1905 to approximately 1919, the home was owned by the Charles H. Breck family who formerly lived at 62 Bellevue Street in Newton. Breck was in the agricultural tools business at 51 North Market in Boston, known as Joseph Breck & Company (now called Breck's, founded by his grandfather Joseph Breck and his father, Charles H.B. Breck). Mrs. Charles H. Breck (Marion A.) was, in fact, a daughter of Luther Adams, a previous owner. Her sister Fanny also lived here. Other children included Charles H. Breck Jr. and Luther J. Breck. From 1919 to 1925, the home was owned by the John H. O'Brien family, O'Brien was in the wool business at 619 Atlantic Avenue, Boston; his wife was the former Emma M. Matthews. Their children included Byron H. O'Brien and Arnold N. O'Brien. (Arnold, a coal dealer, was born in Dorchester in 1906 and married Helen F. Priest in Keene, New Hampshire on June 10, 1933.) From 1931 through 1945, the home was used as the Damon Hall Junior College, run by Frank and Annie Damon. A private family (John Ronne, an attorney) lived in the home again from 1948 until approximately 1963. From 1964 through 1984, the home was owned by the religious order of Stigmatine Fathers, a Catholic religious congregation of priests and brothers. The order also owned the house next door at 36 Fairmont Avenue. The house is currently in use as a private residence, as it has been since approximately 1984.