Bateman Hotel

The Bateman Hotel, previously known as Howell Hotel or Kellogg Hotel, located in Lowville, New York, is now a conglomerate of condos. But at one time, it was a beautiful hotel with a bustling kitchen and dining room and an even busier saloon. The hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


History

The hotel was built in 1869 to replace a predecessor hotel, after the downtown area was burnt in a fire in January 1869.


A livery barn from c.1874 is a contributing structure on the property.


The hotel was owned in the 50's through 1980 by Harold and Marion Mahar. After Harold's death in the late 60's, Marion (called "Mother Mahar" by the locals) continued to run the hotel until her retirement in the early 1980s.


It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.


Other

The Bateman is located on Lowville's main road, State Street. As a large four-story building, it "dominates" the downtown area.