Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima

Edit profile
Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima
For the Basilica in Fátima, Portugal, please see: Our Lady of Fátima Basilica The Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima is a National Basilica of the Roman Catholic Church located in Lewiston, New York, USA, north of Niagara Falls, honoring the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Fatima, the Patroness of the United States. It is directed by The Barnabite Fathers Thousands of pilgrims from around the country and the world visit the basilica each year. The basilica is located on 16 acreas of land. Notable buildings, objects and settings on the property include the Basilica, Bell Tower, Shrine of St. Anthony Mary Zaccari, Little Chapel of Fatima, The Avenues of Saints, Shrine of Mother Cabrini, the Giant Rosary, the Peace Mural, the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, the Immaculate Heart Chapel, The First Chapel, and the Barnabite Father’s Seminary.

History
First among the many Shrine benefactors were Mr. & Mrs. Walter Ciurzak who, in 1954, donated 16 acres (65,000 m 2) of their farm land for the construction of the Shrine. The Basilica was started in 1963. The Church was dedicated in 1965 and was consecrated on October 5, 1974. On October 7 1975, his Holiness Pope Paul VI, conferred the title of Basilica upon this church. The Basilica sits in a dome measuring 100 feet (30 m) in diameter and 55-foot (17 m) high. The dome is covered with two layers of glass and acrylic glass depicting a contour of the Northern Hemisphere. On top of this dome rests a beautiful statue of Our Lady of Fatima which is 13 feet (4.0 m) high and weighs 10 tons. The statue was sculpted from Vermont granite. The 48-foot (15 m) tall Bell Tower was built during the 25th Anniversary Year, 1981, and is dedicated to the memory of Fr. Charles M. Barlassina, C.R.S.P.