Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-BeaupréEdit profile
The Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is a basilica set along the Saint Lawrence River in Quebec, Canada, 30 kilometres (19 miles) east of Quebec City. It has been credited by the Roman Catholic Church with many miracles of curing the sick and disabled. It is an important Catholic sanctuary which receives about a half-million pilgrims each year, including the Anna Fusco Pilgramage from Connecticut. The peak period of pilgrimage is around July 26, the feast of Saint Anne, the patron saint of Quebec.Legend
St. Anne is known for performing many miracles, and people from all around the world come to visit the basilica. One of the builders had crutches but when he finished building the church, he was able to walk freely. Pillars in the front entrance are covered in crutches from people who have been said to have been miraculously cured.History
The basilica in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré was initially a shrine to honour Saint Anne. On March 8, 1658, a man by the name of Etienne de Lessard donated two frontal acres from the West end of his property to the Catholic Church so that a chapel could be built. This chapel eventually became the site of the modern-day basilica. It was built for two reasons: to provide a place of worship for the new settlers in the area and to house a miraculous statue of St. Anne. The first reported miracle at the site happened during the shrine’s construction. A man named Louis Guimond was hired to help build the shrine even though he suffered from rheumatism. After placing three stones upon the shrine’s foundation, Guimond was cured of all his ailments. This was followed by other testimonies of healed people and the shrine soon grew in popularity. Many pilgrims came to the shrine hoping to receive a miracle while others like Anne of Austria supported the shrine from their homes.
Because of the popularity of the shrine, the building was enlarged several times to accommodate all the pilgrims. In 1876, the first basilica opened for worship. The dimensions of the basilica, including the side chapels, were 158 × 77 m . The first basilica was destroyed in a fire on March 29, 1922. The present-day basilica was built on the site of the prior church in 1926.
Miracles are still believed to be performed at the basilica. When entering the church one can see two pillars filled with racks of crutches, canes, braces, and other signs of disabilities. Every item has been left by a pilgrim who reports being healed at the basilica.
The wooded hillside next to it has a memorial chapel and a Way of the Cross, with life-sized Stations of the Cross. Ernest Gagnon was notably the church's organist from 1864-1876. He was succeeded by his brother, Gustave Gagnon, who was in turn succeeded by his son, Henri Gagnon, in 1915. Henry had served as assistant organist previously since 1910, and remained in the post of organist until his death in 1961.
Joseph-Émile Brunet's bas relief Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
Joseph-Émile Brunet's Kateri Tekakwitha” Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
Joseph-Émile Brunet's "Mary and Jesus" Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
Mr. Joseph-Émile Brunet designed twenty-four capitals (1948) for the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, which depict 52 religious subjects reflecting the life of Jesus. Joseph-Émile Brunet sculpted 14 “Stations of the Cross” lining the walls of the Cathedral. Stone statues of Saint Anne and Saints at the entrance of the Cathedral. Joseph-Émile Brunet created the fountain in front of the Basilica and the stone 7'6 ' high sculptures in niches as you enter the basilica, “Marie de L’Incarnation”, “Saint Joseph”, “The Virgin with Jesus”, ““Dimensions
- Total length : 105 meters (344 ft)
- Face width : 48 meters (157 ft)
- Transept width : 61 meters (200 ft)
- Steeple height : 91 meters (299 ft)