Barton Hall
Barton Hall is an on-campus field house on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. It is the site of the school's indoor track facilities, ROTC offices and classes, and Cornell Police. It's also the location of the band room, used by the Cornell Big Red Marching Band and the Cornell Big Red Pep Band. For a long time, Barton Hall was the largest unpillared room in existence. The interior of the building covers almost 2 acres (8,100 m 2), and includes a 1/8 mile (200m) indoor track.

History
It was built in 1914 and 1915 and was originally designed as a drill hall for the Department of Military Science. It was named for Col. Frank A. Barton, Class of 1891. Colonel Barton was one of the first two Cornell students to receive an army commission in Cornell's Military Science Program, and was the first ROTC commandant at Cornell from 1904 to 1908. During World War I, Barton Hall functioned as an airplane hangar and it served the ROTC as an armory during World War II. Barton Hall was well-known to all Cornellians. In the days prior to online course registration, each student would come to Barton Hall at the start of the semester to register for classes. This process would involve placing punched cards into bins for each class positioned on tables throughout the hall. Student organizations would also recruit members at these events. In the first part of the 20th century, "drill" was mandatory for all male students, and it would be conducted in Barton Hall. Also, until 1974, graduation was conducted in Barton Hall, until it was moved outdoors to Schoellkopf Field. Finally, Barton Hall houses the all-alumni lunches at the annual Cornell reunions. In 1995, Barton received another major change with the construction of the H. Hunt Bradley Track Center under the south bleachers. The center includes a Hall of Fame/meeting room/study facility for track, an office, a library and a 1,500-square-foot (140 m 2) weight room. Barton Hall also serves as a concert venue for the Cornell Campus. It has hosted acts such as The Grateful Dead , Ludacris, Bob Dylan, and The Flaming Lips, who put on what they hoped would be the "second best show in Barton Hall history", behind The Grateful Dead. In the Spring of 1969 members of the Afro-American Society (AAS) occupied Willard Straight Hall, the Cornell Student Union, in protest against judicial sanctions against several black students and to demand a black studies program. Two days after the students left Willard Straight Hall, a Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) meeting became a "student takeover of Barton Hall" and the Barton Hall Community was formed. For many years, Barton Hall had a deck gun used in Navy ROTC Training which was fenced off from the general public. On May 1, 1969, as a protest against the Vietnam War, SDS members of the broke into the fenced area and stood on the gun. In a departure from the practice of handling student disciplinary issues with the campus judicial system, eight of the protesters were prosecuted in the city courts for trespassing. In September 1969, the week-long trial attracted great publicity because the defense called as witnesses a large number of administrators, trustees, President Dale Corson, and former President James Perkins to testify. On May 11, 1972, Barton Hall was again the site of anti-war protests, and one protestor threw a rock through a window. The rock thrower was mistakenly identified as physics major James R. Bean, who was later suspended and placed on trial for first degree riot, a class E felony. Bean was acquitted after a four-day trial. Before the end of the trial, the District Attorney subpoenaed the defense witnesses to appear before the grand jury to further investigate the protest. The Bean trial was a high point in political tensions between the town and the campus and marked an end to efforts to prosecute anti-war protestors off-campus. In 2009”“2011, Barton Hall underwent a $8 million renovation which included structural repairs, masonry restoration, roof and window replacement and gutter work.

Current uses
Barton Hall now contains a 200 m track, basketball courts, the Hart Memorial Library, and the Wortham Museum. After the opening of Newman Arena, the building was remodeled into a premier indoor track facility. The Recaflex track features eight 42-inch lanes, one of the few indoor 200-meter tracks in the country with eight such lanes. Barton also contains a throwing cage with a cement circle and crusher dust landing sector surrounded by a 25-foot (7.6 m) high chain link fence. The interior of the track has a Recaflex runway for the pole vault, two long and triple jump pits and multiple high jump areas. The track itself has a raised aluminum curb and a common finish line.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com