Barony Rosendal
Barony Rosendal ( Baroniet Rosendal) is a historic estate and manor situated in Kvinnherad in Hordaland county, Norway.

History
The history of Rosendal dates back to the 1650s, when the nobleman Ludvig Holgersen Rosenkrantz (1628-1685) came to Bergen as commissioner of war for the Danish king. At a ball at the fortress of Bergenhus he met Karen Axelsdatter Mowatt (1630-1675), sole heiress to the largest fortune of the country at the time. Her father was a great land-owner, and had more than 550 farms all over the western part of Norway. They married in 1658, and were given the farm Hatteberg in Rosendal as a wedding present. In 1661, Ludwig Rosenkrantz started building his own manor in Rosendal. He completed this in 1665. In 1678 King Christian V of Denmark gave the estate the status of barony - the only one of its kind in Norway. Around 1850, an expansive renaissance garden was laid out around the manor. The families of Rosendal were important people of cultural Norway. Authors Henrik Ibsen, Jonas Lie, Alexander Kielland and painters Hans Gude and Anders Askevold visited Rosendal often. Musicians like Edvard Grieg and Ole Bull were guests here. Often there were concerts in Rosendal " a tradition which is still kept alive.

Baroniet Rosendal museum
The property was to remain in private ownership until 1927, when the last owner donated it to the University of Oslo. The manor is now operated as the Baroniet Rosendal museum. The museum which offers valuable information about an important period of Norwegian history. A guided tour of the castle takes you through the different periods of time from 1665 up to 1930. The oldest restored rooms are still like they were decorated in the early 19th century. The garden is often referred to as the most magnificent Victorian garden in Norway. Among other things around 2000 roses in blossom can be experienced here (June - November).

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com