Barnes-Peery House
The Barnes-Peery House, known commonly as the Barnes Mansion, is one of the oldest private homes of Jefferson County, Colorado. It was built in 1865 by David Barnes, the first flour miller in Jefferson County, who had just moved his flouring mill (a business still operating today as the Golden Mill) to Golden after establishing it on Bear Creek to the south the year before. The Barnes home was the first major brick house in Jefferson County, and is designed in Italianate style, featuring rows of stone arched windows. A rear carriage house was built in 1871. While living here Barnes founded Loveland, Colorado in 1873. After surviving a fire that destroyed its roof in 1875, the home went on to house other owners of the flour mill, including the Peery family who operated the business through much of the 20th century.