Bampton Castle, DevonEdit profile
Bampton Castle was in the village of Bampton, Devon (grid reference SS959225).
In Saxon times a defensive mound was built. On this mound the Normans built a wooden castle about 1067. In 1136 it was besieged by King Stephen and the fortifications were burnt down. Later, a stone mansion was built on the motte, and in 1336 the Lord of the Manor, Richard Cogan, obtained a licence from the king to castellate it and surround it with a stone and mortar wall. It is thought that in 1607 part of the building fell down due to an earthquake. Since then the stonework has all been removed but the motte survives as a prominent mound in the village.