Bailey Island Bridge
The Bailey Island Bridge (also called the Cribstone Bridge) is a historic bridge in the town of Harpswell within Cumberland County in the state of Maine.

History
For many years, the residents of Bailey Island, Maine advocated that a bridge be built to connect their island with Orr's Island. The town of Harpswell, Maine, which encompasses both islands, turned down the request. However, when the Maine Legislature drafted a law allowing the state and counties to fund bridge construction, a plan emerged to build such a bridge. A contract was signed in 1926, with construction beginning on the Bailey Island Bridge in 1927 and finishing in 1928. The engineer for the project was Llewelyn N. Edwards, bridge engineer for the Maine State Highway Commission.

Design
Design of the 1,150-foot bridge was complicated by the tides in the area known as Will's Gut. It was decided to build a cribstone bridge using granite slabs from local quarries on the border between Yarmouth, Maine and Pownal, Maine. Granite slabs were considered sufficiently heavy to withstand wind and wave, while the open cribbing allowed the tide to ebb and flow freely without increasing tidal current to any great degree. Some 10,000 tons of granite were used in the project. A concrete road (now part of Route 24) was built on top of the cribstones.

Additions and Recognition
A sidewalk was added in 1951 and guard rails in 1961. On July 19, 1984 the Bailey Island Bridge was recognized as a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. The Bailey Island Bridge is reported to be the only granite cribstone bridge in the world. As of March 24, 2009, the bridge is currently undergoing reconstruction to repair cracked or sheered stones. The reconstruction will total eleven million dollars and is scheduled to be complete by 2011. On November 20, 2010, a ribbon-cutting ceremony and parade took place to celebrate the reopening of the bridge. The restored bridge maintains the dimensions of the original. Construction is not fully completed, as there is still some concrete work and paving to be done, and the bridge railing still needs to be set-up. The 1,000 foot long temporary bridge, which was installed next to the Bailey Island Bridge so that people could drive between the two islands, will likely be removed in April 2011.

Photo gallery