Babcock-Shattuck HouseEdit profile
The Babcock-Shattuck House, also known as Jewish War Veterans Post, is a prominent home at the corner of East Genesee and Westcott Streets in Syracuse, New York. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
The Queen Anne style house was built in the mid 1890s to be the home of Dr. Archer D. Babcock, a founding member of the Crouse-Irving Hospital. It was Babcock's home until 1913.
Beginning during World War II, it was a post of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America. They converted the second floor into a large meeting room. During the tenure of this organization, the house played an important role in the Jewish community of Syracuse.
The house is currently vacant and boarded up, in need of total renovation.