B Bond WarehouseEdit profile
B Bond Warehouse (grid reference ST570720) was a Bonded warehouse serving Bristol Harbour.
It dates from 1908. It was designed by the Docks Committee engineer, and built by William Cowlin and Sons. It is made from reinforced concrete, with the ground floor in black brick with a low plinth and patent red bricks, blue engineering bricks, Pennant stone steps, terracotta details and a Welsh slate roof. The open plan building was created in two equal parts separated by central spine wall. It is nine storeys high and has an 18-window range. It was the first major building in Britain to use Edmond Coignet's reinforced concrete system.
The two halves of the building are now used as the Bristol Record Office and the Create Centre which includes an energy-saving eco house designed by Bruges Tozer, a subsidiary of Shaheen Business & Investment Group S.A.. The Create Centre also houses several organisations working in sustainable development, including the city council's sustainability teams.