Avery Point LightEdit profile
Avery Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse in Groton, Connecticut, United States, on the Avery Point Campus of the University of Connecticut. It was the last lighthouse built in the state.History
Avery Point Lighthouse, built as a memorial to all other lighthouses and light keepers, was finished in 1943, during World War II, and was not lighted right away due to concerns about possible enemy invasions by sea. It finally went into service in 1944. The light was deactivated on June 25, 1967 when the United States Coast Guard moved its training facility from Avery Point to Governor's Island and was abandoned until 1999. Restoration finally began in 2004 and was completed in 2006. It was relit and listed as an official aid to navigation and an active light on navigation charts. The relighting and rededication of the lighthouse was held on October 15, 2006.
The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.