Aveiro Light
Aveiro Light, also known as Barra Light, is an active lighthouse in Aveiro, Portugal. At a height of 203 feet (62 m) it is the nineteenth tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world, as well as the tallest in Portugal. The lighthouse is located on the south side of the entrance to the Aveiro river, in Barra, the seaside neighborhood of Aveiro. The location is on a barrier beach, exposed to Atlantic Ocean storms. The site is open, and the tower is open to the public by arrangement.

History
The lighthouse was built between 1885 and 1893, opening in 1893. The original power source was petrol. The site originally also had a fog signal, originating from a separate building. The fog signal building was swept away in a storm in 1935. Since then, sea walls have been built to protect the lighthouse. 3rd order Fresnel lens were installed in 1937. The light was electrified in 1950, originally with a 3000W lamp that was later replaced by a 1000W one. In 1958 an elevator was installed. The light was automated in 1990.

Construction
The round stone tower rises from a 2-story lighthouse keeper's house. The light is displayed at 177 feet (54 m). The spiral stairway comprises 271 stone steps followed by 20 metal steps. The elevator rises through the middle of the spiral stairway.