Aston Hall, Aston-on-TrentEdit profile
Aston Hall is an 18th century country house, now converted to residential apartments, at Aston-on-Trent, Derbyshire. It is a Grade II* listed building. At the time of the Norman conquest, Aston-on-Trent was part of the Manor of Weston which was granted by the Crown to the Earl of Chester and by him to the Abbey of St Werburgh at Chester. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Manor was granted to Sir William Paget. In 1612 Weston passed to Anthony Roper by marriage and in 1633 he purchased the house and estate at Aston. In 1648 he sold the estate to Robert Holden of Shardlow. His descendant, also Robert Holden, was a successful lawyer who replaced the old house with a new red brick three storey five bayed mansion. The house was greatly extended by the addition of a substantial north wing and other improvements by Edward Anthony Holden who was High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1838. The whole edifice was rendered and painted. The estate was sold by the Holdens in 1898 to William Dicken Winterbottom. In 1924 it was broken up and the house was sold to Nottingham County Council and became a hospital. More recently it has been restored, renovated and converted into residential apartments.