Army Medical Museum and LibraryEdit profile
The Army Medical Museum and Library (AMML) of the U.S. Army was a large brick building constructed in 1887 at South B Street (now Independence Avenue) and 7th Street, SW, Washington, D.C., USA, which is directly on the National Mall. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, but, notwithstanding, was demolished in 1969.History
The AMML was designed and built by Dr John Shaw Billings to house the Army Medical Museum, the Library of the Surgeon General's Office, and some of the Army's medical records. Between 1893 and 1910, it also housed the Army Medical School.
The AMML remained on the Mall until the 1960s, when the Museum and Library were moved to their present separate locations. The old building (known affectionately as "Old Red" or "The Old Pickle Factory") was razed and replaced by the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in 1969.Successor institutions
- The Army Medical Museum evolved into the present Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) and the National Museum of Health and Medicine, both now in the same building on the campus of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC) in northern Washington, D.C. Along with WRAMC, it is slated to move, by 2011, to a new site in Bethesda, Maryland, the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC).
- The Library of Surgeon General's Office, after various name changes (Army Medical Library, Armed Forces Medical Library) became the National Library of Medicine (NLM) — then a part of the U.S. Public Health Service — in 1956. The NLM moved to the National Institutes of Health campus in Bethesda, Maryland in 1961.