Ardeer railway station, MelbourneEdit profile
Ardeer is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Ardeer, on the Melton railway line. Ardeer station is unmanned, and is in Metcard Zone 2.
Ardeer is located between Forrest Street and Ridgeway Parade, with station access from both. The station consists of two platforms, in an island format, with a small pebblemix shelter in the centre, and an open air shelter at the station's entrance. A small coin-only Metcard vending machine is located at the entrance, which dispenses only selected ticketing options.Platforms and services
Platform 1 and 2:
- Ballarat line - V/Line services to/from Southern Cross, Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat
The tracks between Sunshine and Deer Park are signalled for bidirectional operation, with trains at Ardeer using either platform.Bus services
- 400 Sunshine – Laverton via Ardeer RS, Derrimut, Laverton North (every day). Operated by Westrans & Sita Bus Lines.
- 451 Sunshine – Brimbank Central SC via Ardeer RS, Deer Park (every day). Operated by Sita Bus Lines.
Ardeer station opened in 1903 as the Australian Explosives and Chemical Coy Siding. The siding faced Melbourne and was on the north side of the line. In 1910 a connection to the siding was added at the Melbourne end converting it into a loop, and it was renamed the Federal Manure Siding, then renamed again to Nobel (Aust) Pty Ltd Chemical Siding in 1929.
The same year a passenger service for workers of the factory at Ardeer and at Deer Park was introduced, with a passenger platform provided. The loop siding was on the east of the lever crossing, and the platform was to the west of it, on the north side of the line. In 1934 saw it renamed Ardeer Siding, and in 1956 the passenger platform was removed. In 1976 the line through the section was duplicated from Sunshine to Deer Park West Junction.
The current Ardeer station was not opened until 2 May 1977 when an island platform was opened at the up end of the existing siding. The Nobel (Aust) Pty Ltd Siding was renamed to ICI Aust Operations Pty Ltd Siding in 1981, before being abolished in 1990.