Apraksin DvorEdit profile
Apraksin Yard (also Apraxin Dvor; Russian: Апраксин Двор) is a department store in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The buildings of Apraksin Dvor nestle between Sadovaya Street and the Fontanka River.
The first market on the spot originated in the mid-18th century, deriving its name from Count Apraksin who owned the plot. After a merchant named Shchukin purchased a portion of it, that part became known as Shchukin Dvor. The market buildings were wooden and burnt to the ground in 1782.
In 1863, a new department store was opened on the spot. It was built to a design by Geronimo Corsini. Over the next decade, more than 45 shops were constructed in the vicinity. In 1913, Apraksin Dvor contained more than 500 shops. A further 270 small wholesale enterprises were located on the grounds of Shchukin Dvor.
After the Russian Revolution of 1917, most buildings of Apraksin Dvor were given over to use as depots and warehouses.
OpenBuildings updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via Annotator
OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
hbd5965 updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Teodora Todorova updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com