Appleton ArenaEdit profile
Appleton Arena is a 3,000-seat multi-purpose arena in Canton, New York. It is home to the St. Lawrence University Skating Saints ice hockey team. It was named for Judge Charles W. Appleton, class of 1897, the main benefactor of the arena as well as the riding center, which is named for his wife Elsa. Appleton Arena opened in January 1951. The Canton Community assisted with the construction of an adjacent outdoor rink previous to 1951. Appleton Arena was remodeled in the late 1970s and early 1980s to its current configuration. In 1999, the facade of the arena was renovated to allow for improved locker rooms (particularly for the growing women's program) and a larger lobby. Additionally, the playing surface was expanded to 85 feet by 200 feet, and a weight training facility was added. These renovations were specifically designed to improve the arena while only minimally changing the traditional wooden bleachers and general ambiance of the interior. Aside from being home to the Skating Saints, the arena also hosts intramural hockey and broomball games, Canton College's hockey program, a figure skating club, and Canton Pee Wee Hockey. In addition to its athletic uses, the University has also utilized the arena for concerts and for an alternate, indoor location for graduation ceremonies.
- While Appleton Arena is generally thought of as an ice hockey rink, the first sporting event played there was a men's basketball game on January 6, 1951. St. Lawrence played the University of Toronto, winning 66-58.
- According to David McKee, Appleton Arena is the second most difficult arena to compete in the ECACHL, after Lynah Rink.