Anderson HouseEdit profile
Anderson House located at 42 Powers Court, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada is believed to be the oldest structure in the city of St. John's.
Originally built for James Anderson, a Sergeant in the militia, the house is of modest construction and an excellent example of 19th century homes built circa 1804. It was built on land that was purchased from Dr. Jonathan Ogden, a Newfoundland chief justice, in 1802.
The house has found use as both a military and private residence. It was used as a military barracks with a (now demolished) section of the house used to stable horses. It has been home to a number of families and at one time was owned by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of St. John's. Henry C. Tillmann (1824-1862) a professor of music and a composer, from Halifax, Nova Scotia, purchased the home in 1860. He had arrived in St. John's in 1844.
On March 23, 1996 the Anderson House became a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador. A plaque (pictured) was affixed in 1998.