Anacapa Island LighthouseEdit profile
Anacapa Island Lighthouse is a lighthouse in California, United States, on the entrance to Santa Barbara Channel, California. It was the last major light station to be built on the west coast.History
Positioned at the eastern entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel, Anacapa was a natural choice for a lighthouse. The Lighthouse Board decided to place a light on the island, but to limit the expense of building an offshore beacon, an unmanned acetylene lens lantern on a tower was erected in 1912. In 1932, the current permanent light station was built on the island, and was the last major light station to be built on the west coast. The 39-foot (12 m) tower and fog signal were built on the highest point of the island. In 1938, under the direction of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Santa Barbara and Anacapa Islands became Channel Islands National Monument. The United States Coast Guard automated the station in 1966. In 1980, Congress designated five of the eight Channel Islands, Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, San Miguel, and Santa Barbara Islands, and 125,000 acres (510 km2) of submerged lands as Channel Islands National Park. The lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation.
Historical Information from Coast Guard web site:Current usage
The buildings other than the lighthouse are now being utilized by the National Park Service.Image gallery
Aerial photo 2009
U.S. Coast Guard archive photo.
Lighthouse and National Park structures at sunset.
Lighthouse with coreopsis in flower, looking across Santa Barbara Channel towards mainland, August 2006.