Amelia CathedralEdit profile
Amelia Cathedral (Cattedrale di Santa Firmina di Amelia) is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Amelia in the province of Terni, Umbria, Italy. It was formerly the seat of the Bishop of Amelia, in existence from not later than the 5th century, but since 1983 has been a co-cathedral in the Diocese of Terni-Narni-Amelia.
Amelia Cathedral, dedicated to Saint Firmina, was built originally in 872, and totally rebuilt in Baroque style after a fire in 1629. Its façade is of pink cotto and was completed only in the 19th century. The interior has works by Federico Zuccari, Lavinia Fontana, Agostino di Duccio, an organ from 1600, and a Turkish banner captured at Lepanto.
The campanile of the cathedral was erected in 1050 using fragments of Roman buildings.Sources and external links
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Amelia
- Catholic Hierarchy: Diocese of Amelia
Coordinates: 42°33′27″N 12°24′52″E / 42.5574°N 12.4145°E / 42.5574; 12.4145