The Amalienburg is a small hunting lodge constructed in 1734-1739 by François de Cuvilliés for the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VII and his wife, Maria Amalia of Austria, in the park of Nymphenburg Palace in Munich and in the eyes of many experts, it is the finest example of the German Rococo.

The Amalienburg was built and designed between 1734 and 1739 for the Electress Maria Amalia. It was designed by François de Cuvilliés who helped make the Rococo the most important style of the first half of the 18th Century, between 1738 and 1756, by publishing many books on subjects such as interior decoration, wall panelling, ceilings, furniture, wrought-iron work, and other decorative subjects. Most of the ground plan of the interior layout is given over to the round Hall of Mirrors in the center of the building which was designed by Johann Baptist Zimmermann and Joachim Dietrich (1690-1753). It creates an ethereal atmosphere in the Bavarian national colors of silver and blue. Other rooms include the Blue Cabinet (the bedroom of the Electress) and the tiny palace also accommodates a kennel room for the hunting dogs. The kitchen is decorated with precious tiles from Delft which when put up, were mixed up when they were being laid by workers who thought they had the right order. The Castrol stove (1735) constructed for the kitchen is a masonry construction with several fireholes covered by perforated iron plates. It is also known as a stew stove and the first design that completely enclosed the fire.