Alumni Healthful Living CenterEdit profile
Coordinates: 42°06′51″N 72°30′53″W / 42.114241°N 72.514755°W / 42.114241; -72.514755
The Alumni Healthful Living Center is a sports complex on the campus of Western New England University in Springfield, Massachusetts. It is the home to the Western New England University men's and women's basketball teams, women's swimming team, wrestling team, and women's volleyball team.
The Alumni Healthful Living Center is a 123,000-square-foot (11,400 m2) fitness and recreational facility. The facility houses a 2,000-seat field house, with floors marked for basketball and volleyball; an eight-lane, competition-quality indoor pool; racquetball and squash courts; an indoor track; a fitness center with state-of-the-art workout equipment; and a large free weight facility. The AHLC opened in 1993. Its original name was Healthful Living Center. Alumni was added in 1994 in recognition of the extensive alumni contribution to the capital campaign that funded the building.
Western New England University's Downes Athletic Hall of Fame, the Athletic Department, and Health Services are located in the building.
The fieldhouse is known as "The Cave" for the boisterous student section.
- October 1, 1999 - First class inducted into Downes Athletic Hall of Fame.
- March 1, 2006 - Alumni Healthful Living Center hosts a quarterfinal game of the ECAC Division III New England Women's Basketball Tournament.
- December 9, 2006 - Western New England University unveiled a new banner displaying the names of the players in the school’s 1,000-point club between games of its basketball doubleheader.
- February 22, 2007 - Final varsity athletic event held in the facility under the auspices of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
- March 4, 2007 - Western New England University's Men's Basketball wins its first ECAC Division III New England Championships.
- September 27, 2007 - Western New England University's Women's Volleyball defeats Anna Maria College, 3-0, in Western New England University's first varsity athletic contest in the Alumni Healthful Living Center under the auspices of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (TCCC).
- June 15, 2011 - New floor installed at Alumni Healthful Living Center.