Alte ResidenzEdit profile
The Alte Residenz was the city palace of the Archbishops of Salzburg in the Old Town of Salzburg.Location
It lies in the historic center of Salzburg between (what is now) Domplatz, Residenzplatz and Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse.History
A spacious building first documented in 1120. It was rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries, especially by archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau. The wing of the Alter Markt was built under Markus Sittikus, whilst the Haupthof was completed under Paris Lodron, expanded under Guidobald von Thun and given a new facade under Franz Anton von Harrach.
It now houses the Residenzgalerie. The gallery presents paintings of the 16th to the 18th century and austrian paintings of the 19th century.Links
- Media related to Salzburg Residence at Wikimedia Commons
- Internet page of the Residenzgalerie
Coordinates: 47°47′54″N 13°02′45″E / 47.7983333333°N 13.0458333333°E / 47.7983333333; 13.0458333333