Allestree HallEdit profile
Allestree Hall is a 19th century former country house situated in Allestree Park, Allestree, Derby. It is a Grade II* listed building but has been unoccupied for many years, and has been placed on the Buildings at Risk Register now the Heritage at Risk Register.
The Mundy family owned the Manor of Allestree from 1516 until Francis Noel Clarke Mundy sold it to Thomas Evans in 1781. It was later the home of William Evans and of his son Sir Thomas William Evans, 1st Baronet. On his death in 1892 the latter bequeathed the estate to his brother in law William Gisborne.
The area known as Allestree Park was enclosed in about 1818. The house begun by Bache Thornhill was completed by John Giradot (High Sheriff of Derbyshire) with three storeys and five bays, the central three bowed with an ionic columned porch.
A large part of the estate was sold for housing development in 1928. The neglected house now stands in a 300-acre (1.2 km2) park and golf course. Some 225 acres (90 ha) of the park is a designated Local Nature Reserve based on Big Wood.