All Saints' Church, Bryher

All Saints' Church, Bryher is a parish church in the Church of England located in Bryher, Isles of Scilly.


All Saints' Anglican church claims to be the most westerly church in the Anglican provinces of Canterbury and York.

The earliest record of a permanent church on Bryher is the account of the dedication of a small building to 'God and All Saints' by the Chaplain of St Mary's, Revd Paul Hathaway, in 1742. It was approximately 24 feet by 13 feet and also served the community on Samson.

The church was enlarged in 1822 by the surveyor Christopher Strick to provide seating for 154 people. There were repairs in 1832 and 1833 by Thomas Downing, carpenter and William Williams.

There is a plain granite font dated 1861. There were additions and alterations in 1882 and a new chancel was added in 1897 and new roof (6 feet higher than the previous) in 1930. The stained glass windows were replaced, the work being completed in 2007.

Parish structure

All Saints' Church is within the United Benefice of the Isles of Scilly parishes, comprising

  • St Agnes' Church, St Agnes
  • St Martin's Church, St Martin's
  • St Mary's Church, St Mary's
  • St Mary's Old Church, St Mary's
  • St Nicholas's Church, Tresco
  • Pevsner, N. (1970) The Buildings of England, Cornwall

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via