All Hallows Lombard StreetEdit profile
Coordinates: 51°30′39.09″N 0°5′5.84″W / 51.5108583°N 0.0849556°W / 51.5108583; -0.0849556
All Hallows Lombard Street was a City church in Langbourn Ward on the corner of Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street, London. Its tower, bells and complete interior fittings are now part of All Hallows Twickenham.History
It was mentioned in many guides as, perhaps, the supreme example of subtle beauty within the "Square Mile". Hemmed in on all sides by City buildings it was known as the “Hidden Church”. The church was first mentioned in 1054 as in the gift of Christchurch Canterbury. The church was gradually added to until a bell tower was added in 1544. The church was badly damaged in the Great Fire and rebuilt in 1694 at a cost of £8,058 15s. 6d. An organ built by Renatus Harris was installed in 1695, only being replaced in 1902 by one commissioned from Noble & Sons An entry in the Parish record Book for 28 December 1789 states that John Wesley preached at Evensong. He recalled an earlier incident where, just as he was about to preach, he realised he had forgotten his sermon, and confided this to the attendant verger.
In 1879 ten bells from St Dionis Backchurch were hung at the church, but such optimism could not disguise the stark fact that the residential population of the City was falling, year on year. After the first world war the church was earmarked, despite fierce opposition, for demolition. In 1937 the church was found to be unsafe and demolished, the tower, porch and furnishings recycled in the construction of All Hallows Twickenham. The Parish, as stipulated under the Union of Benefices Act 1860 was adjoined to a suitably near neighbour St Edmund the King and Martyr, now a Centre for Spirituality. The site is now occupied by the offices of a financial institution. A Parish Boundary Mark can be seen in Lombard Street