All Hallows' ChurchEdit profile
All Hallows Church, also known as The Brick Church, is an historic church located at 3604 Solomon's Island Road, in Edgewater, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States.
The church is a low, rectangular Flemish bond brick structure with a hip roof. The building was constructed about 1710 as the parish church of All Hallows' or South River Parish, now called All Hallows Parish, South River. The interior was gutted by fire in 1727. After modernizations in 1825 and 1885, a 1940 reconstruction restored it to its 1710 appearance.
The ancient cemetery, shaded by a grove of oak trees, surrounds the church. It contains the graves of Provincial Justice, Deputy-Governor and Lord High Sherriff of Anne Arundel Colonel William Burgess (1622–1686), who donated 100 acres of his lands for the establishment of Londontowne, and among the descendants of pioneer planter/politician Colonel Nicholas Gassaway, his son the Lord High Sherriff Captain Thomas Gassaway (1683–1739) amidst whose plantations the church itself was built.
The bell in the rustic tower bears the date 1727. The parish records date back to 1682, indicating that it existed prior to the Act of Establishment (1692) passed by the General Assembly of Maryland laying off the Province into 30 Anglican parishes.
All Hallows' Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
All Hallows Parish, South River, is still an active parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland. In addition to the Brick Church, it has a chapel at 864 West Central Avenue, in Davidsonville. The Rev. Alistair So is the current rector.