Alfred Street Baptist ChurchEdit profile
Alfred Street Baptist Church was founded in 1818 in Alexandria, Virginia, USA and located in the city’s oldest African American neighborhood, the Bottoms. Three members of the First Baptist Church, Jesse Henderson and two others, bought some land on Alfred Street and built the church. In 1820, it started a Sabbath School for educating all ages. Alfred Street Baptist Church had a white minister until 1863, when it called its first black minister, Rev. Samuel Madden. Later, in the 1920s, Rev. Andrew Adkins of the church created the first high school curriculum for black students in the area. For decades the church has served as a place of education.
Architectural improvements were implemented in the 1880s and in 1994, when a new sanctuary was built. The exterior of the building was preserved, but the interior was greatly improved. Alfred Street Baptist Church is located at 313 South Alfred Street in Alexandria, Virginia.