Alfords Point Bridge, New South WalesEdit profile
Alfords Point Bridge is one of three major road crossings of the lower Georges River. It was opened on the 7 September 1973. The bridge links Padstow Heights in the City of Bankstown to Alfords Point in the Sutherland Shire. It is part of Metroad 6.
The two other road crossings over the Georges River downstream of the Alfords Point Bridge are the Captain Cook Bridge, which opened in 1965 and Tom Uglys Bridge, which opened in 1929. Tom Uglys Bridge connects Blakehurst to Sylvania. Captain Cook Bridge connects Sans Souci to Taren Point.History
The bridge replaced a vehicular punt that previously operated between Lugarno and Illawong.
When the original bridge was built, piles and abutments were built next to it (downstream) for future duplication. A second bridge was opened for southbound traffic on 22 August 2008 leaving the older bridge is for northbound use only.
The new bridge replaces a tidal flow system that was in operation on the singular crossing, providing for greater traffic capacity in the off-peak direction.