Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, NovosibirskEdit profile
Coordinates: 55°01′10″N 82°55′21″E / 55.01944°N 82.9225°E / 55.01944; 82.9225
St. Alexander Nevsky's Cathedral is the Orthodox Cathedral in Novosibirsk, Russia.
It is one of the first stone constructions in Novonikolayevsk (former name of Novosibirsk). The church was built in Neo-Byzantine architectural style in 1896–1899.
It was opened and consecrated on December 29, 1899. In 1915 it became a cathedral.
The Cathedral was a specific monument to the emperor Alexander III who initiated construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway which resulted in foundation of Novonikolayevsk as a new railway station.
In 1937 the Cathedral was closed.
In 1988 – the year of the 1000th anniversary of Baptizing of Rus – there began a movement for the restitution of the Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church. In 1989 it was restituted.