Aldermaston LockEdit profile
Aldermaston Lock is a lock on the Kennet and Avon Canal, at Aldermaston Wharf in the English county of Berkshire. It stands at the junction of the civil parishes of Padworth, Beenham and Aldermaston.
Aldermaston Lock was built between 1718 and 1723 under the supervision of the engineer John Hore of Newbury. It was originally turf-sided, but enlarged in the mid-eighteenth century and given scalloped brick walls. It was altered in 1984 when the walls were raised to the full height of lock as part of its restoration. The original height of the scalloped walls is marked by a line of blue bricks.
It was originally called Brewhouse Lock because Strange's Brewery stood beside it.
Today the canal is administered by British Waterways. The lock has a rise/fall of 8 feet 11 inches (2.72 m).
It is a grade II listed building. 200 yards (180 m) towards Reading along the tow path, you can find the K & A Tea Room & Visitor Centre, Opening Tues - Sun 9.30 - 6pm. Open All Year.
Top gates and scalloped lock walls.
A boat leaving the bottom of the lock.
View of the lock and former wharf area
Aldermaston Lock in 1975 before restoration.
Lift Bridge near Aldermaston Lock.