Alden Park Towers

The Alden Park Towers is an apartment building located at 8100 East Jefferson in Detroit, Michigan. It is also known as Alden Park Manor. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Description

Alden Park Towers consists of four eight-story buildings built from red brick with stone trim. The buildings are interconnected at the first story; this level houses commercial services such as grocery store and laundry. The exterior is highly ornamented, with projecting bay windows extending from the ground to the roof. The crenellated limestone at the roofline distinguishes these apartments from other similar buildings in Detroit. The buildings originally held 352 apartments; the number is currently 389.

History

The Alden Park Towers were built in 1922 as the Berman Apartments. They were built south of Jefferson to take advantage of the natural beauty of the Detroit River. They were one of the few large apartment buildings built in Detroit.

The building was purchased by Northern Group in 2005 and has been refurbished.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 2 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 2 years ago via OpenBuildings.com