Albion railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile
Albion is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located on the border of the suburbs of Sunshine and Albion, Victoria, on the Sydenham railway line. Classed as a Host Station, Albion is in the Metcard zones 1+ 2 overlap.

Facilities
Albion is located on St Albans Road and at the southern end of the Ballarat Road road overpass, with the former providing station access via the station's underpass at the Watergardens end. The station consists of two platforms, in an island format, with a large pebblemix building at the Watergardens end of the station. A large Metcard ticket vending machine is located at the entrance to the platforms, which is able to dispense most ticketing options available and also accept notes and coins. A small coin-only Metcard ticket vending machine and a ticket office sit beside. The Albion - Jacana freight lines branches off at the Watergardens end of the station, as does the parallel Melbourne - Sydney standard gauge line.

Platforms and services
Platform 1:
  • Sydenham line - limited stops services to Flinders Street
Platforms 2/3:
  • Sydenham line - all stations services to St Albans and Watergardens


History
The Melbourne and Murray River Railway (now the Bendigo line) opened in 1859 running from Footscray and terminating in Sunbury; by the early 1860s the line had been extended all the way to the goldfields of Bendigo. A station named Albion and Darlington was built on the site of the current Albion station, opening on January 5, 1860 This was the only station on the line in the current Brimbank area other than Keilor Road station (just past the site of the current Watergardens) over 10 km further down the line. Albion and Darlington was, however, only open for a single year. In 1891 a new station named Albion opened further along the line in the down direction. In 1919 Albion station was relocated to the current site. The old Ballarat Road level crossing was grade separated in 1961 resulting in the bridge going over the railway line just past Albion station. The station had a signal box for the control of the junction with the Albion - Jacana freight line until 1961 when it was replaced by a signal panel, which was then moved to the Sunshine signal box in 1965.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 6 media and uploaded a media file
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com