Alaska Native Brotherhood HallEdit profile
Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall, or Sitka Camp No. 1, is significant for being the original chapter of the Alaska Native Brotherhood, an Alaska-wide native organization. It is located on the waterfront in Sitka, Alaska, in an area occupied by Tlingits since about 20 years "after being defeated by the Russians at the 1804 battle of Indian River." According to the National Park Service: The Tlingits founded the Alaska Native Brotherhood/Sisterhood Society in Sitka in 1912 to fight discrimination against Alaska's natives and to obtain recognition of their rights and compensation for their lands. In 1914 the Society built this large frame building as a meeting hall and headquarters. It remains a symbol of the political power the group attained. The two story building is of wood frame construction approximately 40 x 60 feet, and most of its length extends out over water, supported on pilings. On the inside is an auditorium open to two stories, and front offices area on the 2nd floor. It has a tin-covered roof overhanging all four sides of the building. The roof is trimmed at front and back by plain bargeboard with "seven unadorned corbel-like supports in the form of triangular struts." Parts of the building are not original. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.