Adriance Memorial Library
The Adriance Memorial Library is the main public library of the Poughkeepsie Public Library District, serving the city and town of Poughkeepsie, New York, United States. It is on Market Street south of downtown. It is a member library of the Mid-Hudson Library System, which has its headquarters next door. The Adriance Memorial Library, named after a family who provided funding for the construction of its building in 1897, is the oldest tax-supported library in New York State and the third oldest in the United States, dating back to 1839 at various locations prior to the construction of the current building. The building, which was expanded in 1922, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The single-story Tennessee marble domed building features a parapeted roof, projecting cornice with modillions, plain frieze and central pavilion with four Corinthian columns. Decorative panels on the facade feature torch and swag motifs. The interior features Tiffany brass plaques and intact oak woodwork. The library's annual report described it as a Renaissance Revival building, but today it is more frequently described as Classical Revival. The Adriance Memorial library was given to the city of Poughkeepsie by the Adriance family, who ran a successful farm equipment company in Poughkeepsie. John and Mary Adriance's six children donated $100,000 from the fortune he made developing the buckeye plow to build the library, and purchase its books, in their parents' memory. It opened with a huge gala celebration on October 18, 1897.

2007-09 reconstruction
On September 30, 2007, the Adriance Memorial Library temporarily closed its main building in order to perform a major renovation project which is expected to more than double the space within the library. The 1923 addition has been removed to make room for a new and larger addition at the back of the building, leaving the historic original structure intact in the front. The building is set to reopen on October 1, 2009. In the interim, the main library has been temporarily relocated to a former YWCA building on Bancroft Road.

October 18, 2009
On October 18, 2009, Adriance Memorial Library celebrated its Grand Re-Opening to the public. This date is significant because it was the original open date of the library.