Adelaide Central MarketEdit profile
The Adelaide Central Market is a major tourist attraction and large multicultural market in the centre of the CBD in Adelaide, Australia and is often referred to as the Central Market. The Central Market sells a wide variety of goods, including food, toys, jewellery, rugs, seafood, gourmet items, groceries and much more. It has a vibrant atmosphere and is one of Adelaide's best-known landmarks.
Establishment of the Market
The Market began in Grote Street in 1869 and was known as the City Markets, with its official opening on 22 January 1870. In 1869, land was bought in the present day location of the markets for £2600 for three town acres. However, the main markets at that time was the East End Markets that existed between Rundle Street and North Terrace. This market would equal the Adelaide Central Market until 1988. Because of the overflow of the East End Markets, some traders moved to the Central Market. The structure of the building was constructed of wood and iron sheets and completed in June 1869. At its commencement, it opened on Tuesdays and Saturdays with 50 to 100 produce carts. Shops were built along the perimeter of the markets and facing the streets. In the early 1880s, fish supplies were scarce in Adelaide and had to be brought from Port Augusta and Port Pirie by rail. Today the Central Markets are surrounded by the Central Market Arcade, Adelaide China Town, and Market Plaza. The 'centre' of the Central Markets is made up primarily of fresh produce stalls, with the perimeter and arcade shops being mainly cafés, restaurants, and variety stores.
Expansion and Redevelopment
On 8 February 1900, a foundation stone was laid. Shops were added as well as a refrigeration plant for fruit and fish. Electricity was added in 1902 to replace the gas lighting. Arcade shops were added in 1915 on the eastern side. At that stage, amusements were provided such as darts, billatelle shooting galleries, ball bowling, hoop-la and cheap jacks. The addition of other businesses, such as the Hampshire Hotel in 1911, the Moore's Department stores in 1914 and Her Majesty's Theatre also attracted customers. The Market opened for trading on Tuesday, commencing April 1920. In December 1922, the fish quarters of the Market was demolished and further arcades of 32 shops were added. On 27 December 1925, the North Eastern quarters of the Market were partly damaged through fire. In 1929, butchers' licences for the Market were not renewed because of sanitary concerns. Redevelopment of the Market commenced on 18 January 1965 with the demolition of the east end facade of market in Grote Street and addition of a car park. The new market was opened on 17 June 1966. Prior to August 1965, the Market was known as the "City Market", and after that, it was known as the "Central Market" being officially opened on 16 August 1965 with this official name.
Addition of a Supermarket and Fire
Coles Supermarkets joined the Central Market in June 1967. Further undercover car parking was developed as well as the addition of a shopping complex. On 22 June 1977, the Market's southern stall area was badly damaged in a fire. Major restoration was undertaken to repair the damage caused by the fire. There was also at this time, competition from local suburban shopping centres. In 1999, the market had 90 stalls and a total lettable area of 3,349 square metres. Some 1000 car park spaces exist above the Market itself. The Market Arcade, which is surrounded by the Market, also holds 250 traders.